If you are going to use fdisk, ONLY use it if you are going to install
XP on a Fat32 partition. NTFS and fdisk don't play together very well.
I've had to fix more installs of Win2000 and XP because a customer
decided to do it themselves and fdisked.  The WinOs installed, but
refused to correctly convert to NTFS...and were very unstable.

The easiest way to do this is totally clear the disk.  I normally use a
program called AutoClave 0.3 .. free program on the internet, boots from
floppy, can be written to a floppy in windows or linux...is a minix
version of linux and you have a 5 level choice from 1 to 25 passes to
zero the disk or sterilize it.

Once the disk is totally 00 , then M$ XP will think it's a brand new
drive and ask to partition/format... and then continue to install.  Once
you have XP installed, use a trial version of Partition Magic or one of
the other partitioning tools that work with XP (NTFS) and resize the
partition, leaving room for the Fat32 partition and the linux
partition.  Create the Fat32 partition and then write it all to disk.
Boot into XP to make sure it all works.

>From there, you should be able to 'restart' and boot the mdk CD1 and
load the OS without interference from XP. Mandrake setup should see the
NTFS and Fat32 partitions (don't let it do anything to them--use expert
mode) and it will see the 'blank' space after those partitions. Because
the drive was put in a 00 state, XP will have written the mbr correctly
and it should no longer be a problem for mdk.

HTH.
Erik

--
Erik