On Sat, 2002-11-30 at 03:04, John Richard Smith wrote:

> >I fully understand, though. Keep in mind that symbolic links are to *nix
> >what "shortcuts" are to Windows (very basically put - but not entirely
> >true - but the analogy works well in this instance).
> >
> >Symbolic links are quite useful - much like the Windows shortcuts. You
> >can create symlinks to programs with cryptic and strange names that are
> >more easily typed...or vice versa...
> >
> I see, so symlinks aid initiation by linking commands to devices and
> apps and as such
> are quite different in nature from a pipe which is , if I understand
> correctly, a way
> of diverting a stream of data , refered to as standard output, to the
> imput side,
> refered to as standard input, of another programme.
>
> So them how do aliases fit into the grand scheme of things in linux.
> >
> John
>
> --
> John Richard Smith
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Well, they allow you to create "shortcuts" to often used programs
wherever you like them to be - they allow programmers to link to libs in
nested directory structures, they allow you to create links to actual
devices (ex: /dev/hdc --> /dev/cdrom, /dev/hdc --> /dev/dvd,
/dev/ttySH012 --> /dev/modem)...

Before the advent of large drives, the unix file structure was generally
spread out amongst several drives - two or more - so sometimes linking
was the best way to access binaries outside of the "normal" path - hence
alleviating path modification...

There are other ways of creating links, and links don't always have to
be just "shortcuts"...they can be compiled programs with switches and
options already set in them...

--
Sat Nov 30 07:50:00 EST 2002
   .o0 linux user:267497 0o.
|            __    __          | kühn media australia
|           /  \ /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com
|          .\__/ || |   |      |
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kühn
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU
Coralament*Best Grötens*Liebe Grüße*Best Regards*Elkorajn Salutojn

You've been infected by the Telescoping Hubble virus.