Michael Adams wrote:

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002 00:24, John Richard Smith wrote:

Stephen Kuhn wrote:

On Fri, 2002-11-29 at 04:53, John Richard Smith wrote:

I did it this way,

I cd into directory

then ,
#rm libxyz <enter>

it asked Yes or no, Y <enter>

it seems to remove it.

Am I right.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

(Or, login as root, do a cd /, then type rm -rf * - that will certainly
remove any and all symbolic links...)

JOKING - PLEASE DON'T DO THAT!

Yes I thought so, but seriously , rm can remove anything, so
I had to ask, because It's the link, not the target file that I want
to remove. I know all you billion times experienced symlinkists
may find this very elimentary, my dear Whatson, but us types that
have never created one before let alone remove it, don't have
that experience to draw on, and the manual was not very
helpfull.

John

John

If in doubt John, be brave and experiment a little. It goes like this.
- backup
- experiment
- check results
= good result - can safely delete backup
= bad result - restore from backup and try again
BTW, this is offered advice not a telling off. (It is hard to get the correct tone into these e-mails from recent experience).

Yes you are right Michael,
I tend to be a bit conservative with a small "c",

still my understanding is that much better for asking
and no feeling ruffled I assure you, I like a bit of good
natured banta anyway.

I need to find time to read that Advanced bash scripting pdf file.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]