On Saturday 30 Nov 2002 4:05 pm, Technoslick wrote:
> I finally got around to setting up my Linux server, with the main idea
> being to use it for file sharing on the network. As my luck would have it,
> I cannot get my MDK 9.0 computer to "see" what's inside of my Samba shares
> off the server. What makes this a concern to me is that I "can" see and use
> the shares off of all of my Windows PCs, which are made up of Win 2K, Win
> XP and Win 98 SE. I can see them from my MDK 9.0 box, just can't "see"
> anything within.

Hi, Techno,

OK - you gave me the kick I needed to get my network running again - I had it
fine under 8.2, so it wasn't a big job.

I had a lot of problems similar to yours when I first set up, and got a lot of
help.  The main lesson appears to be 'kiss'.  I would try a simpler setup
first, then when that is working you can assess whether you need anything
more.  I've confirmed that the win98 boxes can see my shared directories and
also reach their own home directory.  I can't confirm the w2k box until nigel
is back from holiday.

Here's my smb.conf

[global]
        workgroup = lydgate.net
        server string = Samba Server %v
        security = user
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        wins support = yes
        local master = yes
        domain master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        os level = 99
        encrypt passwords = yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        printcap name = lpstat
        printing = cups
        dns proxy = no
;       message command = /usr/bin/linpopup
;       share modes = yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.
;       interfaces = 192.168.0.1/24
        interfaces = eth0
        password server = anne-linux
        username level = 3
        netbios name = anne-linux
        load printers = yes
;       username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
;       name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        writable = yes
        browseable = no

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        browseable = no
# to allow user 'guest account' to print.
        guest ok = yes
        writable = no
        printable = yes
        create mode = 0700
# =====================================
# print command: see above for details.
# =====================================
        print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r
#       using client side printer drivers.
;   print command = lpr-cups -P %p %s # using cups own drivers (use generic
# PostScript on clients).
# The following two commands are the samba defaults for printing=cups
# change them only if you need different options:
;   lpq command = lpq -P %p
;   lprm command = cancel %p-%j

[print$]
        path = /var/lib/samba/printers