On Saturday 30 Nov 2002 11:28 pm, Chris wrote:
> Not sure how or when then began to happen or even what the heck I did, but
> heres whats going on.  If I log-out of kde and then go to log back-in I get
> some harddrive access then I'm taken back to the login screen again.  This
> is the gui that shows the user(s), gives wm choices etc..I'm running
> Mandrake 8.2 and as I said, not sure when this started or what I may have
> done to cause it.  Any suggestions on what to check would be appreciated.

Can you log into other users OK?
If so then it is likely you can fix it by deleting any file in your home
directory which starts with ~/.DCOP  (do not worry a new one will be created
next time you log in)

It is also possible that one of your KDE setup files is causing the problem.
If you rename your ~/.kde directory then a new one will be created next time
you log in. If that fixes it you can start copying config files from the old
directory back to the new until you find the culprit.

Maybe it is too soon to say, but my impression is that Mandrake 9.0/KDE3.0.4
is more robust and does not suffer from these occasional glitches.

(Just in case you were wondering how you were going to examine and delete
these files when you cannot log into KDE. The answer is you can log in with a
different Window Manager such as IceWM, or hit Ctl+Alt+F2 for a console
login.)

derek