On Sat, 2002-12-07 at 16:50, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > >Partition Magic has detected an error 116 on the partition starting at
> > > sector 25912845 on disk 2.

> > >The starting LBA value is 25912845 and the CHS value is 16450559.
> > >The LBA and CHS values must be equal
> > >Partition Magic has verified that the LBA value is correct and can fix the
> > > CHS value
> > >Would you like Partition Magic to fix this error?

I've not seen all of this thread but, having used Partition Magic a lot
in the past, I've come across this error message several times:
basically it seems that PM doesn't like the partition table written by
some linux installers. The only one I've come across that doesn't lead
to this message is SuSE.I've always just allowed PM to go ahead and
"fix" the "errors" and have not suffered any dire consequences to my
linux installation.Conversely, not fixing the errors doesn't seem to
upset Windows. I get the impression that fdisk (linux version as well as
dos version) and parted don't like each other.

As a matter of interest, I've now given up on PM and use Paragon's Hard
Disk Manager: it doesn't seem to give rise to these errors and also has
the ability to read ext2 and 3 filesystems from within Windows, so you
can still access/read files from both systems. Its cheaper too!

Mind you, if the rest of my family would convert to Linux, I wouldn't
need to worry about this and could stop dual-booting!

David