On Sunday 08 Dec 2002 1:13 pm, Jan Wilson wrote:
> * Anne Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [021207 15:26]:
> > The Paragon util sounds interesting, but I'm really trying to get rid of
> > the dual-boot, so I don't want to buy another hd manager if I can help
> > it.  The main problem now is that I'm picking up the odds and ends - like
> > most of my clip-art collection being .wmf or .cgm, which I would like to
> > convert to .gif or .jpg, or .png, I guess.  The only tools I have are
> > windows tools.
>
> Your .wmf files are vector image files, so if you convert them to .jpg
> or .png you will be losing the ability to scale them to any size, and
> also to be able to edit them as individual objects.  I don't recall
> what format .cgm files are, but probably vector also.
>
> I would recommend you keep them as .wmf files ... you can always
> convert them when you need a bitmap file.
>
> OpenOffice.org Draw does a fine job of editing (and converting to .png
> or .jpg) most .wmf files.  That way you can export whatever size
> bitmap you need without losing information.
>
> I do a lot of work with OOo Draw and The GIMP together ... using Draw
> to create the vector stuff, like text, and then pull it into The Gimp
> for fine tuning on the bitmap background, etc.  Works great!
>
> Draw can import a bitmap but can only do simple things with it, like
> brighten or darken, etc.  The GIMP can import some vector graphics,
> and actually uses vectors (very briefly) when you are creating text,
> but neither begins to compare with the other's strength in working
> with the other image format type.
>
> If you really need to convert the .wmf (vector) files to .png (bitmap)
> in a batch, you might try convert, from the ImageMagick suite:
>
> convert myimage.wmf myimage.png
>
> Depending on how complex your .wmf is, this may actually work  ;-)
>
> Incidentally, most .wmf files will do better as .png's than as .jpg's.
>
> And don't use .gif's ... they use a patented compression method which
> the patent holder (Unisys?) is using to extort unjustified profits
> from the world.  I recently saw a nonprofit website that inquired
> about getting the rights to use .gifs on their website.  The company
> replied that it would cost $10K US per year PLUS 1% of any sales from
> the website!

I generally try to avoid .gif's for this reason.

I have never investigated OOo Draw - when I get back on Friday I'll do that.
It sounds most interesting.

Is there any way of viewing a collection of .wmf files?  Or will I have to use
ImageMagic to produce composite reference sheets for this?

Thanks for this new pointer

Anne