>>> "Bob" == Bob Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[snip]

    Bob> I can't help your connection speed, but I can point you to
    Bob> something that will help with big downloads. Get a package
    Bob> called NetVampire. It only runs under W95, I don't know if
    Bob> there's a Linux equivalent. It will let you get packages in
    Bob> chunks, letting you get some each day. It runs in the
    Bob> background so you can use your computer while downloading.

[snip]

Try ncftp, a character based ftp client.

Download.  Interrupt the download.  Start to retrieve the same file,
and ncftp asks if you want to overwrite, resume, append or skip.

Choose resume.

This is called "reget", and is very useful.

Running ncftp on a virtual console and switching to another virtual
console allows you to "use your computer while downloading."

--
Mike Fieschko, West Orange, NJ, USA
X-Face header is me! http://www.cs.indiana.edu/picons/ftp/faq.html