Daniel Buchanan wrote:

I have a cd-rw and a cd-rom on my system. The crrecord utility will see the burner but i can not access it as a regular drive nor can i access the cd-rom drive either. I followed the directions on the x-cd-roast website as well as in the cd-re howto and i simply can not seem to get the drives to work the way i want them to. I'm attaching the curent state of my lili,modules and fstab files.

If someone could tell me where i went wrong and also what i need to link cdrom and cdrom2 to so i can get full access back to these drives, i'd be really happy :)

boot=/dev/hde5
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=linux
keytable=/boot/us.klt
lba32
nowarn
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
ignore-table

disk=/dev/hde bios=0x80

I don't know what this is ?

append="hda=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"

I would add this to the append=    line in each of the
stanzas below, not here, as indeed you have done to some  .

mage=/boot/vmlinuz
	label=linux
	root=/dev/hde5
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	append="quiet devfs=mount"
	vga=788
	read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label=linux-nonfb
	root=/dev/hde5
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	append="devfs=mount hda=ide-scsi hdd-scsi"
	read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label=failsafe
	root=/dev/hde5
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	append="failsafe devfs=nomount hda=-scsi hdd=scsi"
	read-only

other=/dev/hde2
	label=dos
	table=/dev/hde
other=/dev/hde3
	label=dos2
	table=/dev/hde

I don't understand these, presumeably they are floppies
I would expect an entry something like this,
other=/dev/fd0
label=floppy
unsafe
other=/dev/fd1
label=floppy
unsafe
Your setup is unusual,so,
/dev/hda is your rom or writer
/dev/hdb does not exist
/dev/hdc does not exist
/dev/hdd is your rom or writer
/dev/hde is your hard drive, and M8.2 is on hde5

which I do not really understand but if correct , so well and good.

I could not open your /etc/fstab, but to get your rom and writer
to work you need enties something like this,
/dev/scd1 /mnt/cdrom2 auto user,iocharset=iso8859-15,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0
/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom auto user,iocharset=iso8859-15,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0

these will not give you supermount.

then in /mnt directory make sure you have
/mnt/cdrom
/mnt/cdrom2
/mnt/floppy
/mnt/floppy2 (if you have two floppy drives)

then on desktop rightmouseclick to create,each
of the devices, and in properties of each point to
the /dev files for each.

nothing else required in /etc/modules.conf

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]