On Saturday 14 December 2002 04:40 pm, FemmeFatale wrote:
> At 03:33 PM 12/14/2002 -0600, you wrote:
> > > Thx Anne.  However my experience has been... Odd.
> > >
> > > I went to install linux, everything went fine & I chose "DHCP
> > > connection" as I had always in the past.  The Router I use is acting as
> > > a DHCP Server after all, giving out addy's for our comps here.  Fine...
> > > Install went OK, it couldn't update packages but I expected that.
> > > Rebooted into linux, it was fine.  No internet.  That was my first clue
> > > something was amiss.
> > >
> > > Fiddling with things with both the expert & novice controls I found out
> > > that I had to disable "DHCP/Bootp" & enable a static IP addy. WTH?
> > > Makes no sense, and I had to put in gateway & DNS numbers (the routers
> > > IP sufficed here).  Yet in Winsucks it works fine as a DHCP Server!?
> > > OK something is amiss... but what?
> > >
> > > -------------
> > > FemmeFatale
> > >
> > > Good Decisions You boss Made:
> > > "We'll do as you suggest and go with Linux. I've always liked that
> > > character from Peanuts."
> > >
> > > - Source: Dilbert
> >
> >Sorry, I have lost track of this thread, but do you have both the DHCP
> > server and client installed on your machine? Not sure but think you need
> > both. (Oh, I get so confused, he,he.) Mostly it is somehymers. HTH
> >--
> >Dennis M.  linux user # 180842
>
> Sweety:
>
> I've never needed a DHCP CLient before... why the hell would I need one
> now?
>
> The router itself acts as the DHCP server so it "serves" up address like:
> 192.168.1.100 or ... 1.101, etc...
>
> What I don't understand is why in winsux, it operates correctly as that
> DHCP server, yet Linux demands a static address from me, gateway & DNS
> numbers...?
>

> -------------
> FemmeFatale
>
> Good Decisions You boss Made:
> "We'll do as you suggest and go with Linux. I've always liked that
> character from Peanuts."
>
> - Source: Dilbert
Ok, sorry, like I said I was behind on the thread. What linux wants is the
static IP of your computer the gateway address whether it is your gateway or
the IPs gateway and the IPs DNS addresses.  So if you set up your internal
computer with a 192.168.0.x type address then you should point it at the IP
address such as 68.96.13.xxx and give it the IPs primary and secondary DNS
numbers. Not real clear but the best explanation I can give. If you have that
kind of configuration then I am at a loss as to the problem.
--
Dennis M.  linux user # 180842