At 06:50 PM 12/15/2002 -0500, you wrote:
I never thought to go any further on my original answer, which might have
given you some peace of mind on this. I have had one of those weeks, and my
weekend was spent on my knees tearing my network apart and cleaning. (Yuck!
I hate cleaning!) Maybe this will put it all into perspective for you,
Femme...

If you install a client, adapter and the TCP/IP protocol in any version of
Windows 95 or newer, you technically the DHCP client already installed an
available for use. Many Linux distros make it appear that simple upon
installation. When you see that screen that asks you about how you want to
configure your network card, there's usually a radio button or check box
that you can click on to have the IP address automatically assigned (bootp
or dhcp, depending on the distro and its age). Once you check off that you
want to get your machine's IP automatically from an outside source, the
distro installs the DHCP client from the CD. If you installed with static
addressing in mind, and also asked for the ability to select what packages
you want to install, you could purposely uncheck the anything to do with
DHCP and therefore not have it on your system. I have no idea what Mandrake
would do if you went into MCC and tried to configure the NIC for DHCP
assigned IP addressing if the client wasn't on the system. Would it call for
your CD to install? If it's on your system, it will just make it happen.

The installation of the DHCP client in Linux is almost as automatic now as
it is in Windows. Keep in mind that OEM installations of Windows have all
the installation CABs on the hard drive, so every time you install a new
feature or driver, it looks pretty much like it is doing it all for you. If
you had the disk space and were so inclined, you could copy the contents of
all your distro CDs onto the hard drive and then update the location in
Package Manager. Not exactly as automatic, but a lot closer to being that
way.

Femme, if you installed telling Mandrake Linux that you wanted to see an
assigned IP address to your NIC on boot-up, the DHCP client was installed
then. Needing to statically address, or desiring to, just means something
has been added to the system that needs to see some control, or lack of it.
If it's just one box, statically addressing and doing the HOSTS stuff in no
big deal. If you want some help, write me off-server. Glad to help you
through, if you so desire.

Great. Now I feel like a total idiot. Heh, thx Slick :) Your explanation makes more sense...and I suppose I'm just a bit frustrated its not working the way I expect it to. Sigh. Sue me. I've used winsux too long? :P
FemmeFatale

Good Decisions You boss Made:
"We'll do as you suggest and go with Linux. I've always liked that
character from Peanuts."

- Source: Dilbert