I know I'm coming into this thread a little late but I thought I'd throw my $.02 in anyway. I'm running 9.0 behind a Linksys router that's operating as a DHCP server and I'm not having any problems accessing the internet at all. But then, I also have dhcpcd version 1.3.22pl1-3mdk installed. The description from the rpm is as follows:

"dhcpcd is an implementation of the DHCP client specified in draft-ietf-dhc-dhcp-09 (when -r option is not speci- fied) and RFC1541 (when -r option is specified). It gets the host information (IP address, netmask, broad- cast address, etc.) from a DHCP server and configures the network interface of the machine on which it is running. It also tries to renew the lease time according to RFC1541 or draft-ietf-dhc-dhcp-09. "

From that description it seems clear that I need a DHCP client if I'm expecting to receive and use a dynamic IP from a DHCP server. Personally, I think you probably would too but it's up to you. ;-)

Regards,
Carl

FemmeFatale wrote:

I've never needed a DHCP CLient before... why the hell would I need one now?

The router itself acts as the DHCP server so it "serves" up address like: 192.168.1.100 or ... 1.101, etc...