I've used Mandrake as my primary operating system for the last few years.
Believe it or now I've just now decided to play DVD's on it.  I don't know
anything about the various formats of avi, mpeg, divx etc.  I'd like to be
able to stick a DVD in an rip it to a format that I can then burn on a cd
that I can also put in my standalone player.  From everything I've been
reading it looks like I need to burn in the vcd or svcd format.  Is there a
faq out there that gives an overview of how all this stuff fits together and
works?

Part 2 of this email is why has Mandrake broken everything that I need to be
able to use DVDs?   It's been a real pain trying to track down rpms and
figure out what I need to make the silly thing work.