At 10:12 PM 12/24/2002 +0200, you wrote:
ET wrote:
 As a newbie trying linux for the first time, I find it very very
frustrating. Nothing is intuitive, and even basic text editors like vi or
emacs are difficult to use. I found myself wishing for good old MS-DOS
edit.
I suggest you install "jed" then, for your text editor

Or use kwrite in X. vi and emacs are not "basic text editors", they are weapons of mass destruction.
no machine in "intuitive" it has been said only the nipple is "intuitive". An in-animate object (like a machine) can only be more or less intutive than something else.
"The only intuitive interface is a nipple - after that you have to learn it" was one of the best sigs I've seen. Any idea who originally said it.

Getting off-topic somewhat, the BBC's "Click Online" (a newbie-friendly program, which is also relatively Linux-friendly) did a feature on usability. The presenter asked a usability expert why using a computer wasn't as intuitive as driving a car. Hell, if all computer users had to have the same number of lessons before logging on as drivers do to get their licence, a lot of Help Desk employees would be out of work, and kernel-hacking would be the equivalent of parallel parking.

Sir Robin

Boy do I agree with all of this! Esp. the vi & emacs statement. :) The "nipple" Comment is too easy to hit on :P

I'll leave that & the rest alone, I might get overly cantankerous.

FemmeFatale

Good Decisions You boss Made:
"We'll do as you suggest and go with Linux. I've always liked that
character from Peanuts."

- Source: Dilbert