Hi again Anne,

Thanks for your help. To be honest, I am a little nervous about using linuxconf as I have had problems in the past with linuxconf's configuration not being in sync with the configuration recorded in Mandrake's utilities (or the other way around). Also - the "something like" in the suggested post makes me a little nervous too (that is a newbie's priviledge - is it not :-)

As for seeing the date on a regular CD ROM on the drive, well, I could not even find the drive on /mnt or anywhere else. Now, I have no problem living without the supermount, which already did cause me some problems, but I am unsure as to how to best disable it and then how to manually mount a CDRW (as a cdrom2?) inside /mnt?

Could I not them rather then disableling the supermout simply try tying something like mount /mnt/cdrom2? But I think I remember that to make this possible, I need to add some lines into my fstab, and that in turn, implies that I understand how to mount a USB device intop fstab which I do not at all...

These are the small miseries of the newbies' life.

Thanks a lot for any solution!

Cheers,

Andrei

Linux-Mandrake 9 (Dolphin)
Mandrake Club Silver Member
Registered Linux user: 226850
Registered Linux computer: 183163

I'm not familiar with a cd drive on usb, but here are my first thoughts.

First, it appears to be seen as an ide drive, not scsi-emulated, and you will
not be able to burn without that.

Quoting from a recent post:
1) Open /etc/lilo.conf in your editor of choice.
2) Find the line that reads append="blah blah"
3) Insert into that line hdc=ide-scsi so that it looks something like
append="quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"
4) Save and quit.
5) As root, type
lilo <enter>
and Bob's yer uncle.
Unquote

That should give you scsi-emulation, and the drive, instead of being hdc will
become scd0. xcdroast will need to have the setup run again, but it should
detect the drive and all should be well.

One thing worries me - you imply that you have not had any success with this
drive at all. Does that mean that you can't even see data files on a cd from
it? Supermount works great on some systems, and patchily or not at all on
others. If it is not mounting correctly for you, you will need to disable
it. Come back if this is the case.

Let us know how you go

Anne

Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU= http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_addphotos_3mf