I am a definite newbie to the world of Linux. I have tinkered with it in
the past but always had issues that prevented me from fully jumping on
board.

I have been dealing with Windows since I got into computers in the early
90's. I am the guy that my friends (and their friends) call when there
windows computer goes haywire (free tech support). I am no expert on
Windows but I can find my way around and fix many of the common problems
that pop up. I have helped friends (and myself) reinstall windows more
times than I care to remember.

I said the above just to show you that I am actually qualified to jump
in on this thread. I bought a new hard drive for the purposes of
tackling Linux again (with Mandrake9). I wanted a dual boot system
(Win98 MD9). My windows partition is still not up and running (no sound,
no Internet, video in basic mode). Mandrake9 was up and running within 5
min after install (it took me that long to find the papers that had my
mail setting and computer name - cable internet connection). Now you
tell me which was easier to install?

The problem comes from the steep learning curve from Win to Linux. As I
get into it again, some of it is coming back to me. I still have a long
way to go to be as efficient in Linux as I am in Windows. I do know that
I want to get away from Windows altogether. The way things look so far,
it looks like I may be able to with MD9. So I plug away. First order of
business is to tackle wine.

I can say that if Linux continues to mature as it has and MS continues
their idiotic policies, more of us will join you. Do not be afraid of a
less than perfect review. Jump for joy for a favorable one. You are
gaining ground.

Russ