I know where you're coming from Russ.  I've been the (unwilling) appointed "Fix my
computer, please" guy in the family/circle of friends.  Up until about a month ago I
ran a dual boot system which (much to my dismay) ended up being used as a Windows
machine.  Finally, after having my moments of wanting to throw the computer out the
window, I upgraded my hardware and re-installed 9.0 which, for the most part, I'm
happy with.  (I do agree with some of his points on 9.0's shortcomings but by all
means not all... especially his gripe with package selection.  If he'd used the full
list instead of the groupings he wouldn't have had the problem and it's clearly
marked).
The learning curve is the issue that is the hardest to deal with when trying to
"pitch" a GNU/Linux distribution.  My first home computer was a small keyboard looking
thing that had BASIC commands as functions of the keyboard and hooked up to the
Television.  I've gone through an Atari 5400, a Comodore 64 (still, by all rights a
great machine in its time) the introduction of DOS, an Apple IIe, all the way up to
modern computers.  Though up until the last year and a half or so my *nix experience
was VERY LIMITED, I picked up on it fairly quickly for someone steeped in Windows.
My whole outlook on computers is that if you don't know how they work, you shouldn't
own one, plain and simple, until you LEARN.  I don't know how many "tech support"
calls I've received from friends who didn't even know what Windows Explorer was, what
a driver was, what a dos prompt was, or even how to empty the recycle bin.
On the other hand computers have become ubiquitous in our society and some knowledge
of at least how to point and click your way through a basic system is needed, so I've
tried to go a little easier on people.  Dell, Compaq, HP, Gateway, and the like along
with Windows have made it pretty easy to get a pre-installed system and get going
which is both good and bad for users.  Good because they can use a computer but bad
because they don't understand how they do what they do.
Herein lies the problem with switching to a *nix system.  Even the best graphical
system requires at least a basic knowledge of the command line.  Mandrake's come SO
CLOSE that, IMO it's the only distro I would recommend for a first time user migrating
from w32, but I would not recommend it to the lady down the street who still uses a
typewriter at work that just got her first machine (oooo a 500 dollar computer..
that's gotta have GREAT HARDWARE lol).  15 years ago, if Mandrake 9.0 was released,
the world would look at Mr. Gates and laugh today because there was still a lot of the
command line involved then.  GNU/Linux would have soared.  It was all a matter of
timing.  I'm not saying that it's a bad thing to have real ease of use, but it can be
detrimental overall when it comes to total knowledge.
So the way I deal with it is, when someone wants me to fix their machine I put THEM in
front of it.  I make THEM fix their machine with my help.  This frustrates my friends
at first but in the end I have to believe that I've helped them understand computers
at least a little more, and many have thanked me for it.  One friend is so fed up with
Windoze now that she told me when she gets a computer again, she's building it
herself, reading up on which hardware she should get, sitting down with me and
installing a full Mandrake system... no windows at all.  (She was impressed with my
machine lol.)
It's been a good experience for me too.  I used to be quite hard on people who didn't
know what they were doing, and I've learned it's better to teach than to critisize.
So, in conclusion, in my opinion, this "review" was poorly written, in bad taste, and
detrimental to GNU/Linux.  In expecting more from the distribution than from his own
knowledge, the author is perpetuating the notion that Linux is hard to learn, hard to
use, and hard to adapt to, and that you shouldn't need to have to learn something
before you try to use it.  It took me YEARS to adapt to Windows from DOS, it took me a
couple months to adapt to GNU/Linux.

Sorry for the novel.
Jerry.