On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Jerry wrote:

> So, in conclusion, in my opinion, this "review" was poorly written, in
> bad taste, and detrimental to GNU/Linux.  In expecting more from the
> distribution than from his own knowledge, the author is perpetuating the
> notion that Linux is hard to learn, hard to use, and hard to adapt to,
> and that you shouldn't need to have to learn something before you try to
> use it.  It took me YEARS to adapt to Windows from DOS, it took me a couple
> months to adapt to GNU/Linux.
>
> Sorry for the novel.
> Jerry.

  I thought it was pretty fair.  I, too, know about the full list, and was
surprised that he didn't, but it seems to me Mandrake should TELL the user
that only the alpha selection is complete.  With choice comes confusion, and
we accent the benefits of the former by minimizing the latter.  Should we
really expect the newbies to have to figure it all out like we did?  Must
they walk 20 miles to school through the snow (like my Dad said he did)?
There were things I disagreed with in his review but I didn't think he was
going out of his way to be unfair.  Remember, he LIKED 8.2.  Maybe he'll
also like 9.1 and/or 9.2 as well.  Mandrake would do well to listen to
this kind of constructive, sympathetic review.

Dale Huckeby