On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 10:50, H.J.Bathoorn wrote:
> I've got 3 (and some neighbour's)kids hogging the main PC cause of the games,
> so if I want to access anything (and I mean: anything) immediately, I plug in
> my laptop somewhere (usually upstairs -it's quiter) on the network and access
> my app's from there. That's when "ssh" is realy coooool, even runnin xine!:o)
> Now to find something that can export sound too.
>
> Good luck,
> HarM

UNIX was the first OS that allowed for "slave" or "dumb" terminals to
run applications ON the server from remote. Telnet, SSH and the likes
are still the most stable means to deal with any type of remote access.
Everything else is based loosely on it.

I only use VNC when I absolutely have to. There are times, though, that
I can't be bothered to turn around in my seat to see what the wife-unit
is doing, so I fire up VNC to "assist" her...or for the Mac...I can't be
bothered to move my chair the 1.5 meter distance to the Mac...(g)...but
in the instance of client support, it's helpful to SHOW them this that
or the other thing to get things "working" - otherwise, on the linux
machines I support, telnet and ssh are great...and on the Win2k/XP
machines, I always make sure I have the telnet services running...so
that I can slip in the back door and do what I have to do without
bothering the "operator" of the workstation...but sometimes they like to
see the "magic" of remote control...go figure...

--
Tue Jan  7 09:55:01 EST 2003
  9:55am  up 2 days, 13:03,  6 users,  load average: 0.55, 0.49, 0.48

kuhn media australia - kma.0catch.com
stephen kuhn - katherine kuhn - berkeley, nsw, au
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
icq: 5483808 - mobile: 0410-728-389
-PC/Mac/Linux/Consulting/eMarketing-
 * linux user: 267497 * rh 7.3+ *
Kitchen activity is highlighted.  Butter up a friend.