>Thanks for the quick reply.  I get the idea that SQL is more suited to
>client/server setup.  Is this correct?  How does it perform where the
>database files, engine, and ui are all on one pc?

It is amazingly fast. Even considering that the frontend is a PHP
application when you talk about phpMyAdmin.
I have some scripts going from the command line (built with myadmin and
saved to disk) and that is really fast. I notice a bit of delay happening
with tables that have loads of fields (> 50) and over 10,000 records though.
That may take 5 or 6 seconds for a normal optimised query. (Athlon 1200, 256
MB Ram and ATA100 7200 rpm disks here.)

Paul

--
Ne'er put your arm out farther than you draw it back easily again.
-Scottish Proverb

http://nlpagan.net - OS:Linux Mandrake 8.2 - E-mail:Sylpheed 0.8.8