On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 22:19:27 -0700
Jerry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> SNIP
> >
> > Starlink looks fine, but it only has one server in Europe. :(
> >

> > BTW, Eggdrop 1.6.13 works like a champ on mdk 9.0, they fixed some old
> > bugs in this new version.
> >
> I'll check out a couple of the other smaller nets and see if i can get a hold of
>some of the OPERS, try and find one with a little better coverage.  I op some
>channels on Undernet currently so I'll see what I can find.
>
> ;-)

the openprojects.net IRC servers have a better coverage,
4 AU servers, a Chinese server, 10 EU servers and 9 US servers,

http://openprojects.nu/irc_servers.shtml

Upon connection, the MOTD does say:

-USERNOTICE-  You've connected to the Freenode network via IRC.OPENPROJECTS.NET. That
domain name's being PHASED OUT, since Open Projects changed its name to Freenode in
August, 2002. If you connected directly, please reconfigure your client to point to
IRC.FREENODE.NET and reconnect. If you connected via another project's irc hostname,
irc client default or web site, please ask the project owners to change their pointer!
Thanks.

So it looks like the servernames need to have openprojects.net replaced with
freenode.net.

http://openprojects.nu/policy.shtml

Network policies.

Chanserv and nickserv services available.

In the channel listing there are a few channels of note:  #Mandrake, #mandrake-linux
and #mandrake-offtopic, plus channels for things such as MySQL, mplayer, MDK-Cooker,
KDE, gtk+, gnome, etc.
Perhaps we could form #mandrake-newbie here?  IMO it'd be a good alternative plus
possibly a place to refer people who do not want to receive the bulk of email from the
list yet still have some of the benefits of it.