On Friday 10 Jan 2003 11:54 pm, Mark Weaver wrote:
> Milos Prudek wrote:
> > Kesav Tadimeti wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> Someone (Sir Robin I believe) said that V8.1 was bad and 8.2 was
> >> Mandrake's
> >> best release yet. Mandrake Linux 9.0 didn't receive a favorable review
> >> from
> >> OS news .com. Is it better to wait for 9.1 or go ahead for 9.0? And
> >> how do I
> >
> > I am a former Red Hat user. I used Red Hat on my desktop since 1999.
> >
> > Mandrake 9.0 is my first Mandrake. It is very good indeed, and I have
> > found no show stoppers or major problems with Mandrake 9.
> >
> :)   you haven't tried to do serious networking with it yet, have you. I
>
> personally am holding out for 9.2 to become official before even going
> near any of my servers with the CD. 9.0 is a gorgeous and stable
> workstation, but has a few too many challenges where servers are
> concerned. I'm really hoping they drop shorewall from the package.
> Although that will quickly become a moot point for me when I get my
> diskless firewall up and running. I won't need an entire OS to handle
> that job.

With *every* release you will always hear stories of people for whom an older
release worked better on their hardware. I heard it for 8.0, 8.1, and 8.2,
and no doubt I will hear it about 9.1 as well.

Mandrake 8.2 was a very fine release indeed, and so is 9.0. I find 9.0 to be
very stable, and the work Mandrake has done on security and server
configuration makes it a very good server release IMO.  You do not hear about
these things in reviews like OSNews because all they do is install the OS
judge how 'pretty' it looks, and then go onto the next one.

I also like shorewall. It is very easy to set up once you get over the fact it
is text based, and is very powerful for the 'power users'. (It is also
powering my discless firewall)

But whichever version you decide to run, I would still recommend a clean
install formatting all but your /home partition. There are 'no surprises'
that way.

HTH

derek

--