On Friday 10 January 2003 05:54 pm, Mark Weaver wrote:
> Milos Prudek wrote:
> > Kesav Tadimeti wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> Someone (Sir Robin I believe) said that V8.1 was bad and 8.2 was
> >> Mandrake's
> >> best release yet. Mandrake Linux 9.0 didn't receive a favorable review
> >> from
> >> OS news .com. Is it better to wait for 9.1 or go ahead for 9.0? And
> >> how do I
> >
> > I am a former Red Hat user. I used Red Hat on my desktop since 1999.
> >
> > Mandrake 9.0 is my first Mandrake. It is very good indeed, and I have
> > found no show stoppers or major problems with Mandrake 9.
> >
> :)   you haven't tried to do serious networking with it yet, have you. I
>
> personally am holding out for 9.2 to become official before even going
> near any of my servers with the CD. 9.0 is a gorgeous and stable
> workstation, but has a few too many challenges where servers are
> concerned. I'm really hoping they drop shorewall from the package.
> Although that will quickly become a mute point for me when I get my
> diskless firewall up and running. I won't need an entire OS to handle
> that job.
I have ML9.0 on two computers, one is a stand alone web server and the other
is networked to a windows comp and runs through a firewall with IPcop on it.
IPCop uses shorewall and I have had shorewall running on the other computers
as well. No problems the open to the internet web server has not been hacked
to date. So what seems to be the issue with shorewall with some folks is that
on initial install of 9.0 seems like you have to go in and do a small amount
of configuration or pretend to any way and then internet connections work
dandy.  It is a bit of a puzzle why it works that way.
--
Dennis M.  linux user # 180842