On Sun, 2003-01-19 at 13:09, Colin McElhatton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think that now I'm starting to delve a bit deeper into using this extraordinary
>Linux release however I've encountered a couple of hitches I hope someone can help me
>with.
>
> 1. I am trying to install some RPM packages I downloaded but I am at a loss as to
>how to install them properly. I tried to install a WINE RPM for instance and I think
>I did install it but then I could not find the place where Linux installed it. I used
>the KRPM application from the KDE desktop. Any help with this and how to locate
>installed applications would be appreciated.

If you type "man rpm" in a terminal it will give you an overview of the
rpm command, which is used to install packages.I tried typing "rpm" into
google and the first hit takes you to rpm's homepage, which gives you
all the info you need.
You can find documentation for most of what's on your system in
/usr/share/doc/*packagename*
You can use the "find files" command in KDE to locate files relating to
a package - eg search for wine* will bring up any file name beginning
with "wine"
> 2. I have a multi-boot PC with Win98 / XP and Mandrake installed. When I get into
>WinXP the time is OK but when I get into XP the time is always 1 hour ahead. Is there
>any way to solve this?
> Have you checked your regional setings in Control Panel?
> 3. Also while I'm at it might as well ask :-)... I have a 56K modem which I use with
>Mandrake but which takes a very long time to initialize and start dialing...is there
>a way to speed up the initialization process and get it to dial out faster?
> Sorry, don't know
> Thanks to all in advance.

David

--
Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur