On Sunday 19 January 2003 11:17 am, Sascha Noyes wrote:
> On Sunday 19 January 2003 12:43 pm, Charlie wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Questions: how do I sync a directory to cooker and use that instead of
> > software manager from a mirror? If I get the latest update packages maybe
> > everything will start to work. In the alternative how would I force the
> > beta2 DHCP to start resolving names from my ISP's servers on this _stand
> > alone_ machine? beta2 solved some of the glitches in beta1 but broke the
> > networking for me. Doing an upgrade install of beta2 over what I have
> > right now won't work. I tried it.
>
> First of all, you are reporting the bugs you find to bugzilla
> (https://qa.mandrakesoft.com/)  aren't you?

As soon as I figure out what the devil they are I will. <g>

If I don't actually identify what's broken/glitchy/needs to be fixed for
compatibility in my hardware environment it won't help the developers anyway.
Bug reports without information are a waste of bandwidth and drive space;
aren't they?

At least bugs that aren't already reported; those I'll just try to vote for if
they're affecting my system too. Yeah, I do check bugzilla.

> For syncing the cooker tree to my local harddrive i use the following
> command:
>
> rsync -avrt --progress --delete ftp.sunet.se::Mandrake-devel/cooker/i586
> /home/lusr/burn/cooker/

Extreme thanks Sasha!  So in /home I need a /lusr directory (Short for linux
user? Or what sysadmins and developers seem to think of end users like me?) a
burn directory (seems obvious; mkcd blah blah blah etc) and the /cooker
directory that I'm syncing? No trouble. /home (a "common" partition) now has
18.6 GB to play in and I'm nowhere near the download bandwidth cap from my
ISP.

Am I adding a user called "lusr" (whatever) or just making directories in my
/home or /home/nanook? Either is fine, I just don't want to screw the pooch
here.

BTW I have one empty 30 GB (Reiser FS formatted) partition called /store
available on hdb. Would that be more appropriate? Since I'm going to mirror
the entirety of cooker it may become useful for someone down the line.

> For the contrib RPMs use the following command:
>
> rsync -avrt --progress --delete ftp.sunet.se::Mandrake-devel/contrib/i586/
> /home/lusr/burn/contrib/i586/
>
> To add this repository to your urpmi list:
>
> urpmi.addmedia cooker /home/lusr/burn/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS with
> ../base/hdlist.cz

> And a similar command for the contrib RPMS if you download those as well.

The easy part but thanks. I would probably have forgotten how to do it at
first. Kind of pointless if I don't sync for contribs though, isn't it?
That's where the "toys" are. :-)

> Sascha Noyes
> --
> PGP key available from:
> http://individual.utoronto.ca/noyes/snoyes.asc

So (last stupid gnubie question I hope) I can add the sync to cron and have it
done automagically. How please? I'm off to Google for an answer for this one.

Thank you again.

Regards;
--
Charlie