Hello;

After all the complaining I did last week about the fun I was having
installing beta1 on the same machine as Dolphin having people ignore my posts
wouldn't surprise me at all. :-)

beta2 downloaded; checked the md5sums (all good) burned the CDs and bit the
bullet. Everything backed up, 2 whole 60 GB hard drives ready to play on
Reiser FS, and this time I was damned well gonna _play!_ <g> Yeahhhhhh, sure
I was.

Tried to treat it as a regular install, flat list for packages isn't anywhere
to be seen. Interesting. Picked the packages in the groups I knew I wanted
and went from there. The install actually seems quicker on my machine than
Dolphin did on my son's Duron 1300 MHz. Kewl. Got to the summary section and
had no keyboard showing, must have been one of the installer phantoms we've
all experienced occasionally so I just selected US keyboard. My hardware was
all identified properly; sound card, graphics adapter, monitor etc.. But the
network showed as "not configured." OK; let's do something about that. Click
the right buttons, go through the steps, back to the summary screen.

Cable....OK Hangs at the make bootdisk stage. Start over, skip it. Finished,
media ejected, _let's dance!_

Suuure. NOT. Booted to the desktop OK, Sound works unlike beta1, the
resolution was correct unlike beta1, everything seems to be as it should.
Except there's no network. It's impossible to make a connection happen using
Mandrake Control Center. According to the System>Services the internet is
running. Try "ifdown eth0" then "ifup eth0" at the command line from a
superuser terminal. Nope, tells me to check the cables. Unplugged or some
such foolishness. This is getting old. Try (gasp!) linuxconf. OK, the DHCP
servers are already identified but seems no domain names resolution. Won't
save manual entries for dns vs NIS, YP or whatever the hell local domain name
resolution s**t it seems locked into.....

And around and around we go.

Back to beta1. Install; at the services on boot screen there are no buttons so
I ignored it and hit enter. Lucked out again, it worked. I can always turn
things on and off after I boot and disable the boot start-up where I don't
need the service, I didn't the first time and couldn't go any further. To the
desktop we go....no sound (expected that) adjusted resolution and turned off
services that aren't needed

Let's see about updating this thing from MCC or urpmi at the command line. Add
sources, got the _full_ hdlists for cooker and contribs. urpmi
--auto-select.....568 MB is this OK? Y/N#y
curl can't cd to blah-blah-blah a few hundred times
you may want to update urpmi

AAARRRGGGHHH

Won't add software that wasn't installed originally either since it's calling
my CD-ROM cdrom2 and my burner cdrom even though they're listed correctly in
fstab. Won't do anything to update except manually. I installed the updated
kernel manually but couldn't install the updated kernel sources 'cause of
some dependency on ncurses-devel library that isn't installed. I recall
selecting development packages during install. <sigh>

Questions: how do I sync a directory to cooker and use that instead of
software manager from a mirror? If I get the latest update packages maybe
everything will start to work. In the alternative how would I force the beta2
DHCP to start resolving names from my ISP's servers on this _stand alone_
machine? beta2 solved some of the glitches in beta1 but broke the networking
for me. Doing an upgrade install of beta2 over what I have right now won't
work. I tried it.

Twice.

Any advice? Hints? Please? Thanks for reading.

Oh and I'm havin' a blast! <g>

Regards;
--
Charlie