On Sunday 19 January 2003 02:26 pm, Charlie wrote:
> > For syncing the cooker tree to my local harddrive i use the following
> > command:
> >
> > rsync -avrt --progress --delete ftp.sunet.se::Mandrake-devel/cooker/i586
> > /home/lusr/burn/cooker/
>
> Extreme thanks Sasha!  So in /home I need a /lusr directory (Short for
> linux user? Or what sysadmins and developers seem to think of end users
> like me?) a burn directory (seems obvious; mkcd blah blah blah etc) and the
> /cooker directory that I'm syncing? No trouble. /home (a "common"
> partition) now has 18.6 GB to play in and I'm nowhere near the download
> bandwidth cap from my ISP.
>
> Am I adding a user called "lusr" (whatever) or just making directories in
> my /home or /home/nanook? Either is fine, I just don't want to screw the
> pooch here.
>
> BTW I have one empty 30 GB (Reiser FS formatted) partition called /store
> available on hdb. Would that be more appropriate? Since I'm going to mirror
> the entirety of cooker it may become useful for someone down the line.

No, don't add any user.
/home/lusr/burn/cooker/ is simply where I want to keep my local mirror of
cooker. Sorry, I neglected to mention to simply substitute the path for
whatever path you want to store the files under. So for you that would
probably be /home/nanook/[anydir], or if you want to keep it in
/store/[anydir] that is also fine. It just depends on which
harddrive/partition you want to store the files. My user name (lusr) is just
me trying to be funny. ;-)

> > For the contrib RPMs use the following command:
> >
> > rsync -avrt --progress --delete
> > ftp.sunet.se::Mandrake-devel/contrib/i586/ /home/lusr/burn/contrib/i586/
> >
> > To add this repository to your urpmi list:
> >
> > urpmi.addmedia cooker /home/lusr/burn/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS with
> > ../base/hdlist.cz
> >
> > And a similar command for the contrib RPMS if you download those as well.
>
> The easy part but thanks. I would probably have forgotten how to do it at
> first. Kind of pointless if I don't sync for contribs though, isn't it?
> That's where the "toys" are. :-)

It certainly is. If you are concerned about you bandwidth and harddrive space
you can also make a file (i called it 'ignore.txt') where you list all the
packages that you are not interested in downloading. So if you are using it
solely as a desktop you can put apache, and other servers in that file and it
shall not sync them. Then you have to use the additional switch with rsync:

- --exclude-from=/home/nanook/ignore.txt

The whole thing would then look like this:

rsync -avrt --progress --delete --exclude-from=/home/nanook/ignore.txt
ftp.sunet.se::Mandrake-devel/cooker/i586 /home/nanook/burn/cooker/

Good luck,
Sascha Noyes

- --
Please encrypt all correspondence.