On Sunday 19 January 2003 01:13 pm, Sascha Noyes wrote:
surgical snips. with a broad axe>
> > Am I adding a user called "lusr" (whatever) or just making directories in
> > my /home or /home/nanook? Either is fine, I just don't want to screw the
> > pooch here.
> >
> > BTW I have one empty 30 GB (Reiser FS formatted) partition called /store
> > available on hdb. Would that be more appropriate? Since I'm going to
> > mirror the entirety of cooker it may become useful for someone down the
> > line.
>
> No, don't add any user.
> /home/lusr/burn/cooker/ is simply where I want to keep my local mirror of
> cooker. Sorry, I neglected to mention to simply substitute the path for
> whatever path you want to store the files under. So for you that would
> probably be /home/nanook/[anydir], or if you want to keep it in
> /store/[anydir] that is also fine. It just depends on which
> harddrive/partition you want to store the files. My user name (lusr) is
> just me trying to be funny. ;-)

I thought it was amusing, that's why I made the smart a$$ comments about it.
Thanks for clearing that up. I thought it was the way it should be but wasn't
positive and screw ups drive me nuts when I'm the instigator.

> > The easy part but thanks. I would probably have forgotten how to do it at
> > first. Kind of pointless if I don't sync for contribs though, isn't it?
> > That's where the "toys" are. :-)
>
> It certainly is. If you are concerned about you bandwidth and harddrive
> space you can also make a file (i called it 'ignore.txt') where you list
> all the packages that you are not interested in downloading. So if you are
> using it solely as a desktop you can put apache, and other servers in that
> file and it shall not sync them. Then you have to use the additional switch
> with rsync:

Last I looked (about five minutes ago) I was only using a total of roughly 11
GB out of 240. I don't think I'll run out any time soon. :-)

> --exclude-from=/home/nanook/ignore.txt
>
> The whole thing would then look like this:
>
> rsync -avrt --progress --delete --exclude-from=/home/nanook/ignore.txt
> ftp.sunet.se::Mandrake-devel/cooker/i586 /home/nanook/burn/cooker/

Perfect. Thank you.

> Good luck,
> Sascha Noyes

BTW I figured out how to make 9.1beta2 work with my RealTek 10/100 NIC and
Shaw Cable's domain servers by reading the cooker list. Before doing the
"upgrade install" and not picking any packages I downloaded the latest
initscripts, ran dhcpcd eth0 from console, installed the upgraded initscripts
and rebooted. I'm sitting in 9.1beta2 right now.

Don't ya love it when a plan comes together? <g>

Thanks again Sasha. I'll set the rsync tonight so it can do it's thing while I
watch my Sunday night few hours of boob tube. :)

Warmest regards;
--
Charlie
Edmonton,AB,Canada