I'm a very newbie running Mandrake 9 and I can't get it to connect to the
internet.

My ISP is eurobell. I've set up the connection in MCC, and that bit seems to
work OK - it dials, verifies my username and password, and is clocking up a
penny a minute for the connection when I test it - but I can't get any
further than that.

I've tried setting up my details (username, password, server names as
supplied by eurobell), but when I use the various applications to try to
access www, usenet, email accounts I just get error messages - message
wording varies depending on the application, but amounting to "host eurobell
unknown".

I've checked the documentation on the machine and printed out several trees
worth, but still can't crack this. The only documentation I found that seems
relevant told me that the host name should be in the /etc/hosts file. This
is what my /etc/hosts file contains:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.0.50 home

No mention of eurobell in the file. Should I add something here and, if so,
what?

I've been reading this list for a couple of weeks and picked up some useful
tips, but nobody seems to have exactly the same problem as me. Luckily I
still have the old Win 98 machine running so I can access the mailing list -
but it is annoying to have to unplug the modem and keep moving it from one
machine to the other as they are in different rooms!

I tried eurobell's tech support, but their first question was "which version
of Windows do you have?" and the conversation went downhill from there.....

Can anyone help? TIA
Margot Lawrence