On Wednesday 22 Jan 2003 1:09 pm, Margot wrote:
> I'm a very newbie running Mandrake 9 and I can't get it to connect to the
> internet.
>
> My ISP is eurobell. I've set up the connection in MCC, and that bit seems
> to work OK - it dials, verifies my username and password, and is clocking
> up a penny a minute for the connection when I test it - but I can't get any
> further than that.
>
> I've tried setting up my details (username, password, server names as
> supplied by eurobell), but when I use the various applications to try to
> access www, usenet, email accounts I just get error messages - message
> wording varies depending on the application, but amounting to "host
> eurobell unknown".
>
> I've checked the documentation on the machine and printed out several trees
> worth, but still can't crack this. The only documentation I found that
> seems relevant told me that the host name should be in the /etc/hosts file.
> This is what my /etc/hosts file contains:
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
> 192.168.0.50 home
>
> No mention of eurobell in the file. Should I add something here and, if so,
> what?
>
> I've been reading this list for a couple of weeks and picked up some useful
> tips, but nobody seems to have exactly the same problem as me. Luckily I
> still have the old Win 98 machine running so I can access the mailing list
> - but it is annoying to have to unplug the modem and keep moving it from
> one machine to the other as they are in different rooms!
>
> I tried eurobell's tech support, but their first question was "which
> version of Windows do you have?" and the conversation went downhill from
> there.....
>
> Can anyone help? TIA
> Margot Lawrence

Welcome Margot
Two suggestions. First does this machine have an Ethernet interface? If yes,
and you do not need it for a local network then disable it either in the BIOS
settings, or by simply setting it to not start on boot in the Mandrake
Network configuration.

Second. Did you put your ISPs DNS server IP address into your dial
configuration? I looked them up on the Eurobell site for you. They are
212.24.65.65   and 212.24.65.199

BTW: Eurobell are a typical Microsoft outfit. Their web pages do not work with
Opera or Mozilla. I had to run Internet Explorer under Wine to read their
site.  Grrr makes me sick!

HTH

derek

--