Paul wrote:

> Yup, no problem. I am of course NOT going to twiddle the running drives
> around, but they function wonderfully either on the side or straight up.

changing hd position was meant to be after power off and spin down. i have seen
drives develop problems and only run at new angle. i know of one drive that is
running for 8 years now, raised 1.5" on left side.

> So
> it is the mobo, as Marc and et also already suspected.
>
> Too bad. This ASUS board was pricey. But then, even good things can die an
> early death.

do not give up on board. i had a problem with one box where cpu was over heating.
adding a fan and clearing drive cables from around cpu allowed air to flow and
cpu cooled down.

adding silicon heat sink compound will help make cpu run cooler, if you have not
already applied.

> Re temperature/sensors: I did indeed have Gkrellm set up wrong. The high
> value as reported by sensors is +40C (I found a multiplier x2 in Gkrellm)
> and the limit is reportedly +60C, so that should be all fine.

if you improve air flow and now that you have sensors straight, test again.

all is not lost yet.

> Thanks for all the help, once more.

most welcome.

> You are a wonderful bunch people!!

my last wife does not think i am. but that is why she is my ex. :)

peace out.

tc,hago.

.
--
 think green...
    save a tree, save a life, save time, save bandwidth, save storage.