On Sun, January 26 2003 5:12 pm, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
*snip*
> Thats interesting. I always thought that AMDs' chips were better performers
> at the same speed range....from what I've read. (but I'm no expert).
Really dependant upon what your doing, AMD's ARE better performance/mhz
usually.. but.. also at the cost of stability.  When I was a technician at a
local pc service center, I can't even begin to tell you about the
compatibility issues between motherboards and video cards.  One guy had a GF4
Ti 4400.. and a AMD XP1800+.. in a Soyo board.. and the card refused to work
in anything having to do with 3D.. He bought the card from us, and swore up
and down the card was faulty... I put the card into my test system. (A P3
500) and installed several games that he'd brought, saying the card locked up
in em.. and it ran beautifully... no problems.. took the ATI Rage128 that I
had in the test system.. put it into the Xp1800.. and *IT* ran beautifully..
with no problems, whatsoever... now, for the kicker.. we underclocked his
1800 (which was clocked to 1600mhz, per AMD's settings...) to 1500mhz
clockspeed (which the board then recognized the CPU as a XP 1699 (or
something like that..) and the GF4 ran without a hitch.. So.. I assumed a
heat problem.. not true... the CPU wasn't even hitting 110F (or about 45C)
according the motherboard's system diags.. and this was AFTER running some
'cpu burn' tests that output gibberish into each register, causing the CPU to
peg 100% usage for like 20 minutes..

--
Chuck Burns, Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-----------==========-----------
The time was the 19th of May, 1780.  The place was Hartford, Connecticut.
The day has gone down in New England history as a terrible foretaste of
Judgement Day.  For at noon the skies turned from blue to grey and by
mid-afternoon had blackened over so densely that, in that religious age,
men fell on their knees and begged a final blessing before the end came.
The Connecticut House of Representatives was in session.  And, as some of
the men fell down and others clamored for an immediate adjournment, the
Speaker of the House, one Col. Davenport, came to his feet.  He silenced
them and said these words: "The day of judgment is either approaching or
it is not.  If it is not, there is no cause for adjournment.  If it is, I
choose to be found doing my duty.  I wish therefore that candles may be
brought."
                -- Alistair Cooke