On Thursday 30 Jan 2003 8:42 pm, Sharrea wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 02:54, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I have read that there have been problems installing RH on Soltek mobos.
> > Is anyone using one with Mandrake?
> >
> > Anne
>
> I have the SL-75KAV.  There were hardware issues with the 686B Southbridge
> and the KT133A Northbridge in MDK8.0.  A workaround was provided from
> MDK8.1 onwards.  Results of that issue: UDMA was crippled so my hard drive
> disk reads were approx 18 MB/sec (instead of 36 MB/sec).  Also crippled CD
> burning for others with these chipsets although I had no problem burning.
>
> One other thing, the BIOS (even with the update) on this mobo could not
> recognise the full capacity of the 60GB IBM Deskstar DTLA 307060 that I
> used to have - so had to use the dynamic drive overlay (very sucky-moto).
> The drive's full capacity was recognised in my other PCs (diff mobos). Was
> actually quite relieved when that crappy drive died!  Not sure whether that
> was the BIOS's fault or the hard drive's??
>
> Since getting rid of that drive and now with MDK9.0 I haven't had a
> problem.
>
> RedHat 7.2 and 7.3 were fine too (currently not installed).
>
> Had no probs with this mobo in Win98SE until I added a GEForce2 GTS Pro
> 64MB graphics card + SBLive! 5.1 sound card - then crash, crash, crash...
> so uninstalled Win98SE...

Thanks, Sharrea.  The mobo that I think is failing is a 75KAV.  I think the
ide controller is dodgy.  I'm having it tested at my supplier's lab, but I
expect to be told that it will have to go.  I'm thinking of a 75DRV to
replace it.  It's for my grandson, who needs it for his gcse work (he's doing
IT, so he needs to run various apps in windows, though he has relegated his
games playing to x-box), but he also wants to explore Mandrake, so the plan
was to put in a new bigger HDD and give him dual-boot.  Unfortunately, I'm
having intermittant problems with the bios seeing drives on the primary ide,
so I suspect it is dig deep in the wallet time :(

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302