On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:54:18 +0000
Anne Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have read that there have been problems installing RH on Soltek
> mobos.  Is anyone using one with Mandrake?

Anne

I'm running Mandrake 9.0 on a Soltek SL-KT400-A4/7 Socket A board, Via
KT133 series, running an Athlon-XP 1800 with no problems.

1 x AGP Slot
5 x PCI slots
3 x DDR Ram for a max of 3GB
USB
Smart card reader

And of course it's screened in a pretty irridesant(?sp?) mauve
(This was the swinger for me!!)

Only one 'however' and it's kernel related - to do with reassigning IRQs
during boot up. The kernel deals with this and just carries on
regardless.

===

For your interest a good test of a mother board is to locate,
aquire,steal, borrow or of coarse d/l Knoppix.

It's run-off-the-cd system. Real fast, Real Smart, Debian based (I
think). I used it on the several boards I was 'offered' before I chose
this pretty one.

The test criteria was simply if Knoppix booted through sweetly and there
where no issues playing with the many apps on the cd - then it was a in
contention!

Oddly, the Soltex and Gigabyte were the only ones which passed, NONE of
the PCChips boards passed, price (and colour) ruled in the end!

Cheers

John