On Sun, 2003-02-02 at 20:28, Jason Greenwood wrote:
> As a rule of thumb, you want your swap partition to be double the size
> of the amount of ram you have eg 512MB RAM make swap 1+ Gb.
>
> Cheers
>
> Jason
Before getting out of Window$ and into GNU/Linux, I read somewhere that
the more memory you have the less swap space you need and this makes
sense to me. AFAIK, swap space has to do with the processor paging
memory to disk to make room for other processes that might be in need of
it. Being equal the request of memory, the system with more ram will
need less swap space.

Yesterday was the first time that I saw my system using swap space, but
I was doing a lot of crap like compiling, database programming, testing
OO and MyODBC, mail, etc, without taking care of processes that I didn't
need any longer.

Right now I have an 80 Mb swap partition and have had no problem but I
would like to read more about the technical foundations for the rule of
thumb that you mentioned. Any link or reference will be truly
appreciated.
--
    __
   / \\   @       __     __    @   Adolfo Bello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>