On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 20:27:51 +1300, Jason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Nope, don't have a link but have read it in several places
> before...though with lots of RAM being the norm nowadays, getting away
> with less is a real possibility. I double it because HD space is cheap
> and running out of swap on a running system is *not* something you want
> to have happen, ever. It creates quite the headache.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jason
>
> Adolfo Bello wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 2003-02-02 at 20:28, Jason Greenwood wrote:
> >

> >>As a rule of thumb, you want your swap partition to be double the size
> >>of the amount of ram you have eg 512MB RAM make swap 1+ Gb.
> >>
> >>Cheers
> >>
> >>Jason
> >>

> >Before getting out of Window$ and into GNU/Linux, I read somewhere that
> >the more memory you have the less swap space you need and this makes
> >sense to me. AFAIK, swap space has to do with the processor paging
> >memory to disk to make room for other processes that might be in need of
> >it. Being equal the request of memory, the system with more ram will
> >need less swap space.
> >
> >Yesterday was the first time that I saw my system using swap space, but
> >I was doing a lot of crap like compiling, database programming, testing
> >OO and MyODBC, mail, etc, without taking care of processes that I didn't
> >need any longer.
> >
> >Right now I have an 80 Mb swap partition and have had no problem but I
> >would like to read more about the technical foundations for the rule of
> >thumb that you mentioned. Any link or reference will be truly
> >appreciated.

Swap = 2x RAM has been a common equation for a long time now. In fact, 2.4
kernels prior to 2.4.10 required this to be met for proper VM functionality.
When it comes down to it, you need enough RAM and swap to cover everything you
want to do with your computer. Many of today's computers boast more RAM than
you'll ever need, given the current state of GNU/Linux, so you can afford to
relax things a little. For example, I have 1GB RAM, which is far more than I'll
ever need. I have configured a swap size of 1GB (i.e. swap = RAM), but my system
never needs to use it.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan
  [Yama | http://www.pclinuxonline.com/]

"I'm basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other
people actually do." -- Linus Torvalds