> >   I tried the extra string and it man no difference.
>
>    Marc
I knew that, since that perticular string is for v92 modems, but the point
was, on the USRobotics website they might have a lot of info about the model
number of that modem and if it requires any "special" init settings.
have you tried the other modem on this box? maybe a bad or screwed up modem or
modem cable... unless you have swapped them with "known good" items, and as
long as this problem is not specific to either OS.. how can you know?