> > >   I tried the extra string and it man no
> > >   difference.
> >
> >    Marc
> I knew that, since that perticular string is for v92
> modems, but the point was, on the USRobotics website
> they might have a lot of info about the model number of
> that modem and if it requires any "special" init
> settings. have you tried the other modem on this box?
> maybe a bad or screwed up modem or modem cable...
> unless you have swapped them with "known good" items,
> and as long as this problem is not specific to either
> OS.. how can you know?

     You may have a point I am going to have a look at
the US Robotics website however this makes no sense to
me I have tried another modem just like this one but
not a different cable. However I am going to try the
modem and cable off my other box that has ML 9.0
installed and working. I have used this same brand and
model of modem on at least 6 other ML9.0 installations
and no special action was ever required. Getting this
model modem to work in Mandrake Linux or any other OS
has always been a 100% nobrainer as far as how do I
know that this modem is good I am using it right now
on the windoze part of the machine and have been using
it several times a day every day for the last 4 days
on the windoze side of this machine. and have used
this modem and cable before on other machines. I
always like this brand and model of modem because it
is always up until this point super simple to use in
any operating system and any brand or vintage of
machine that I have ever tried this model on. Redhat,
mandrake 8.0,  8.1, 8.2 9.0 windoze 95,  98, 2000, ME
and Mac
 And this model always seems to play niceley with any
and every ISP. I have seen some brands and models of
modem work like crap with some ISPs and work well with
others but never a us robotics sportster. The
sportster seems to be almost a industry standard along
with some of the Hayes modems of course. IMHO Hayes
seems to have written the standards and with the
sportster  series US Robotics seems to have done a
flawless job of sticking to those standards.  As a
rule of thumb IMHO if you want a a modem to work first
time every time anywhere on anything get a old US
Robotics sportster. No I am not a US Robotics or 3 Com
employee. I really have to tend to think that ML is
having trouble communicating with the serial port on
this machine. That seems kind of unlikely but laptops
and notebooks seem to be prone to having odd crap
going on, at least in my experance so far. But thanks
for the comments anything is worth a try. I may also
try a older version of Mandrake just to see what
happens.

   Marc