At 11:11 PM 2/6/2003 -0600, you wrote:

   Back in the olden days, when 'internet' would bring blank stares
from the few folks who were just startin to run a new fangled thing
called Windoze on their store bought systems... long before AoL CD's
were sold/included with everything, or just plain showed up
unsolicted in your mail box ....  Hell, what's a cdrom? has it been
invented yet? A floppy must be these bendable 5" disks, these newer
3" suckers must be what they call harddisks ...

   .. some of us oldies already were connected to shell accounts to
the net, or into local BBS's. Many of us already unaware that there
was somethin out there better than, or besides DOS for a PC. Shell
accounts were foreign in that you were connecting to a Un*x box
remotely, somewhere in somebody's kitchen closet. DOS comands
wouldn't work, you had to learn some unix jargon. No problem, we
weren't confirmed braindead M$ users back then. Gates himself hadn't
mastered spelling 'internet'.  Took him a while at that ;)

    Everything was done on the CL, including using lynx to venture out
into this strange world of www, or w3 as it might be called. D/l'g,
what's that?  Gopher, archie ? Seemed normal to d/l to your shell
account, then if you needed it locally, to havt'a d/l again from the
shell server to your desktop's local drive. All on the CL. Better
hurry up too, cause a generous allotment was 5mb stored in your
shell/user/dir on the server. Learn how to use CL arguments fast or
die tryin.
<snip>
Heh I remember most of this stuff. Archie..hm.. theres an archaic way to surf & get info/stuffs. *snickers* 3" floppies... ya they were "hard disks" all right... least thats what I thought. :)

   IMNSHO, learnin how to do it on the CL, any OS, will enlighten your
understanding of how to use the GUI's that others have made to run
the underlying binaries. Probly better too, from the CL that is.
OTOH, I use Kmail ;>
Kmail huh? Hm... so do I get xtra browny points for calling you an old geezer who sold out to the suits? :)

And I agree with you about CLI learning. Its why I've started to investigate this stuff.

FemmeFatale

Good Decisions You boss Made:
"We'll do as you suggest and go with Linux. I've always liked that
character from Peanuts."

- Source: Dilbert