On Sunday February 9 2003 03:52 PM, David E. Fox wrote:

> >    What I meant by 'varies' is, using SBC for example, depending
> > on monthly price, DSL connections from 384Kbits down, to
> > 6Megabits down
>
> Doesn't SBC try and limit the bandwidth to 384K sometimes? At least
> that's what I heard. My DSL circuit is through Raw Bandwidth, but
> the wires are the telco's - Pacific Bell / SBC. I have a little
> better setup than standard pacbell.net people - i.e., no pppoe,
> static IP, etc. PPPOE if it is required can impact bandwidth
> negatively, I hear.

    PPPoE is all that's available here.  From what I've read it's the
most common residential DSL type.  I wouldn't even be able to get it
here if I wasn't in between the new telco (SW Bell) substation built
last August to feed the high school down the road from me.

     I wanted to get broadband as soon as I could, because sooner or
later I suspect all the broadband providers are gonna limit
residential accounts. Cable ISP's are already talking about it. I
don't think they'll do it with bandwidth limiting (or throttling). I
believe they'll do it by limiting d/l amounts per day, eg, 1 Gig/24
hours, and charge extra for going over. I've had the account since
early Sept, and I've never seen any evidence that they're throttling
bandwidth, even on weekends.  I always get about 150K/sec, which is
normal for a 1.5Mbit line (roughly 10 bits per transmitted byte).

     I've talked to others around me that thought there was some
throttling going on. In each case, they were using their home's
internal wiring (actually Travel Trailers, we all live in the same RV
Park). I suggested they run a line directly from SW Bell's terminal
box directly to their router ('modem') as I do. Those that did quit
complaining ;)  Actually I run the phone line directly to an APC
surge protector (25'), then a short line into the router. It'll only
take one bad experience with lightening, and you'll do the same ;)