On Sun, 2003-02-09 at 11:52, Greg Meyer wrote:

> The same exact problem that adelphia has.  Thank you very much for clarifying,
> I now have the info that I need to speak with the ISP again.
> - --
> Greg

Greg,

I just wanted to follow-up with you, and let everyone else one the list
know, about my on-going battle to get any posts through from an Adelphia
SMTP server. After a lengthy talk with a tech support personnel at
Adelphia, yesterday (one many before), it would seem that Mandrake's
listserv is blocking all emails sent from Adelphia's SMTP servers. Why?
Last year, around late summer, Adelphia experienced a rash of spam
attacks that nearly broke their system and also propagated the attacks
to others. It was the opinion of the tech support person that Mandrake
is blocking all email send from their servers because of this. I have
already discussed my own problem with Mandrake, and in fairness to their
efforts, they did try to manually add my address to their system to let
me through. It didn't work. Reverse look-up was what was also killing
me, as it seems to be the case in this thread.

Anyway, I wanted to let everyone know that there isn't anything that can
be done at Adelphia's end. They have nearly migrated all their several
million customers to the new email server systems, so as it is today is
as good as it will get from them. They are now pointing the finger to
Mandrake and saying that Mandrake must remove Adelphia from their list
of spam domains.

How I was able to get around my problem was to use the SMTP server of my
dial-up account (this is one reason why I am broke all the time...) by
authenticating through my email client. It works fine, as long as the
ISP is set up to allow this. Coincidentally, my test post triggered a
return email from an anti-spam agent that my Dial-up ISP is using,
forcing me to do a one-time validation. No big deal, really.

While my solution is of very little help to Adolpho, it would be to
anyone who has been trying to use an Adelphia SMTP server to communicate
with this list (or some others?) Don't ask me why I didn't think of this
sooner....sometimes I get so deep into the forest that I wouldn't know
what a tree looked like if I bumped into it...I apologize for
interrupting the thread, but I had hoped that this information would
have some value to everyone.