On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 17:40, Terry Smith wrote:
> I'm the fellow that needs help :-). Or put another way, another unhappy
> Adelphia customer (the only high speed access available in my
> neigbborhood).
>
> This is a test msg, passing the email through an SMTP server at work.
>
> Terry Smith
> Cape Cod USA
>
> On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 15:37, Technoslick wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-02-09 at 11:52, Greg Meyer wrote:
> >
> > > The same exact problem that adelphia has.  Thank you very much for clarifying,
> > > I now have the info that I need to speak with the ISP again.
> > > - --
> > > Greg
> >
> > Greg,
> >
> > I just wanted to follow-up with you, and let everyone else one the list
> > know, about my on-going battle to get any posts through from an Adelphia
> > SMTP server. After a lengthy talk with a tech support personnel at
> > Adelphia, yesterday (one many before), it would seem that Mandrake's
> > listserv is blocking all emails sent from Adelphia's SMTP servers. Why?
> > Last year, around late summer, Adelphia experienced a rash of spam
> > attacks that nearly broke their system and also propagated the attacks
> > to others. It was the opinion of the tech support person that Mandrake
> > is blocking all email send from their servers because of this. I have
> > already discussed my own problem with Mandrake, and in fairness to their
> > efforts, they did try to manually add my address to their system to let
> > me through. It didn't work. Reverse look-up was what was also killing
> > me, as it seems to be the case in this thread.
> >
> > Anyway, I wanted to let everyone know that there isn't anything that can
> > be done at Adelphia's end. They have nearly migrated all their several
> > million customers to the new email server systems, so as it is today is
> > as good as it will get from them. They are now pointing the finger to
> > Mandrake and saying that Mandrake must remove Adelphia from their list
> > of spam domains.
> >
> > How I was able to get around my problem was to use the SMTP server of my
> > dial-up account (this is one reason why I am broke all the time...) by
> > authenticating through my email client. It works fine, as long as the
> > ISP is set up to allow this. Coincidentally, my test post triggered a
> > return email from an anti-spam agent that my Dial-up ISP is using,
> > forcing me to do a one-time validation. No big deal, really.
> >
> > While my solution is of very little help to Adolpho, it would be to
> > anyone who has been trying to use an Adelphia SMTP server to communicate
> > with this list (or some others?) Don't ask me why I didn't think of this
> > sooner....sometimes I get so deep into the forest that I wouldn't know
> > what a tree looked like if I bumped into it...I apologize for
> > interrupting the thread, but I had hoped that this information would
> > have some value to everyone.

I'm not an Adelphia customer but I also can not send messages to the
Mandrake mailing lists using my ISP's smtp server.

I spent many hours on the phone with my ISP and exchanged several
e-mails with Charles Davant at Mandrake who tried to help. In the end I
too had to finally give up and look for an alternative means of posting.

A few hours with Google led me to http://www.myrealbox.com. A free
service which is run by the good folks at Novell who are using the site
as test bed for their Netmail product. They had moratorium on new
accounts for a while, but they are once again accepting new users.

I have been using the service for nearly a year now and have had only
one instance of the system being unavailable when I wanted to get my
mail.

I could go on about all the 'Great' features of the service, but I don't
want anyone to think I'm a Novell employee, (I'm not)..

While I appreciate the fact the Mandrake mailing list are spam free, it
is rather irksome to not be able to use a service I am paying for.  But
as the French say... ceci est la vie.

Hope this helps everyone.

--
Chuck Stuettgen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>