On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 23:15, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> On Wednesday February 12 2003 10:15 pm, RYan Moe wrote:
> > Hi, I'm using 9.0, my drive is a Creative Labs 12/10/32 on
> > /dev/hdc.I've turned DMA on for this drive by using hdparm and
> > creating a harddiskhdc file.  However anytime the drive is accessed
> > my CPU usage shoots up to around 75% (normally I can't hardly get
> > it past 10%) which shouldn't happen if its using DMA.  I know for a
> > fact the drive supports DMA as I've had it about 2 years.  There
> > isn't a problem with the drive either as I booted into windows and
> > burned a CD with the CPU usage never going above 2%.  I don't
> > recall having this problem when I had 8.2 installed. I've also used
> > this drive w/ Debian and it worked fine in there.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ryan
>
>     Creative doesn't say much about who makes it. They re-badge
> various sources. Windoze is not a recommendation for hardware to work
> on better OS's. 'Works great with Windoze' is most often a derogatory
> statement about hardware. MOF, that's one explaination I can think of
> at the moment. Windoze kernels are a joke, Deb's are usually old
> fashioned yesterday's stuff. Probly older than the kernel you had
> with 8.2.  Could be your hardware is fallin behind current Linux
> kernels?
>
>    OTOH, that only somewhat fits your slow tranfer rates tho. The
> motherboard might. Who makes it, and what chipset?  Also mention if
> it's in a ready made (ie, OEM only), because then it and often it's
> chipsets are made to that vendors specs or Dell's. What drives are
> hd[abd] ? might help too. Another possibility is spindle wobble
> causing eratic signals over IDE. That could account for both slow
> transfer rates and high cpu usage. At two years old and unknown
> sources, that becomes a realistic explaination, specially if the
> transport mechanism was actually made by Ricoh.  Have you tried
> burnin at low speeds (4x) ?
>
>     Post the output from 'hdparm -v -i /dev/hdc'  and maybe
> somebody'll see somethin....  I'm runnin out of ideas.
> --
>     Tom Brinkman                  Corpus Christi, Texas
>
> ----

I have an Asus A7V133c m/b w/ an Athlon T-bird 1.3.  It's not an OEM
board.  The other drives I have are /dev/hda some old shitty cd-rom,
/dev/hdg a maxtor 30 gig running at ATA-100, /dev/hde a quantam 30 gig
ATA-100. You think being less than 2 years old kernel support would have
gone beyond my 12X drive?  I've gotten some pretty old, crappy hardware
working w/ new kernels (IDE controller cards and whatnot).  I wasn't
using windows as a "hey it works in here why not linux", just that if it
was something physically wrong (i.e. not a driver/config problem) it
should show up every time I use the drive regardless of OS. here is the
output of the hdparm command.

/dev/hdc:
 HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Input/output error
 IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 BLKRAGET failed: Input/output error
 HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument

 Model=CREATIVE CD-RW RW1210E, FwRev=LCS6, SerialNo=
 Config={ Fixed Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs nonMagnetic }
 RawCHS=0/0/0, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0
 BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=1024kB, MaxMultSect=0
 (maybe): CurCHS=0/0/0, CurSects=0, LBA=yes, LBAsects=0
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
 PIO modes:  pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
 DMA modes:  sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 *mdma2
 AdvancedPM=no

Thanks,
Ryan