On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 19:13, Tom Brinkman wrote:
>   BUT, did you inspect those 8 mo. old caps?  ...and why did the first
> mobo havt'a be replaced in the first place? ...caps?  It's a damn
> shame 'cause Asus use to be reliable and high performance products.
> Among the OCr's favorites. Actually I don't mean to single them out,
> Abit is much much worse for much longer, and all the mobo vendors
> have been slide'n down hill since about '98. Even MSI and Gigabyte.
> Soyo seems to be holdin up, even gain ground.

OK, now.  I have to step in here in defense of Abit.  This is one of the
original alerts on the bad capacitor issue:

SEE: http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html

Excerpt from the above URL:

"So far, the only motherboard maker to admit to the problem is ABIT
Computer Corp. (Taipei), and the only major PC maker to acknowledge
being affected is IBM Corp. But the problem is likely to be more
widespread. Indeed, those who have repaired the damaged boards say that
they have encountered crippled motherboards from Micro-Star
International, ASUSTek Computer, Gigabyte Technology, and others."

So from the standpoint that Abit has traditionally put out very
outstanding products, and from the standpoint that they are just about
the only ones that are being honest about the problem, it is lopsided to
single them out as being "much much worse."  I happen to HAVE an Abit
mobo and it's the best I've ever owned.  And I've owned a mobo or two,
since I used to fabricate for a living.

Asus, on the other hand, has traditionally tended to produce mobos with
less than 7 slots, sometimes with wierd freako connectors whose
standards nobody understands or really cares about.  That's my only beef
with them.  Other than that, their mobos are most of the time the
fastest around, and usually they can trash the other ones in the
(non-overclocking) vanilla benches, Soyo and Abit included, assuming
they don't do overclocking and test the boards vanilla, which is what
everybody does anyway.  The reason I chose Abit was threefold:  One,
because of the flexibility of the overclocker bios, which is the most
flexible one around for tweaking CPU's.  So even if my buddy next door
has a soyo or asus, I can STILL outperform his mobo in the quake 3 demo
benches cause my Abit allows better tweaking.

Two, the mobo had no stupid onboard crap like sound, or lan or anything
else that I use cards for because I might want to upgrade that feature
later on.  Granted, this is not true anymore for anybody when you look
at all of the newer boards.

Three, the Abit layout usually gives you the maximum amount of slots.
They traditionally have had the most beautiful layouts. I've got a Lian
Li aluminum case with eight slots available and dammit I want to use at
least seven of them.  The real man's mobo's used to come with eight
slots available.

Before I quit here, I will say that Soyo has got some beautiful layouts
as well.  They are one of the companies that has listened to
consumer/overclocker demand and has produced boards with 7 slots.  After
all, I want to give credit where credit is due.  TOM.  :)

LX

--
Kernel  2.4.21pre4-1mdk       Mandrake Cooker 9.1