On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 18:13:02 -0600
Tom Brinkman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>     I believe as I alluded to before, I think the problem is your
> controller card.  It wasn't clear to me but I believe you've got 2
> HDD's, 2 CD drives.  Put your busiest, fastest HDD on hda
> (ide0-master), the other HDD on hdb (ide0-slave). Put your old CDrom
> as hdc (ide1-master), and your burner as hdd (ide1-slave). If you
> have a 3rd HDD, then shelve the Cdrom and put the 3rd HDD in it's
> place as hdc.  Give that addon controller card to your worst friend
> or best enemy.

If you do not mind me butting in here Tom, the A7V uses an onboard
Promise ATA100 controller for ide2 and 3 and and an onboard VIA-Apollo
ATA66 controller for ide0 and1 so it would be rather difficult for him
to get rid of the 100 controller.

I have 2 of the retail boards and have been using both for around 2
years or more with no problems, got both prior to the release of 7.2.
My drive set-up are similar to his.
Machine1 cdrom, dvd, and cdrw on ide0 and 1, 3 hds on ide2 and 3
Machine2  dvd, Creative cdrw on ide0 and 1, 2 hds on ide2 and 3

I have never enabled on any removable drive or even seen any need.
Even on machine2 I can burn a 700 mb iso cd in 6
min and still rebuild XFree or play Quake at the same time.

The problem Ryan is having could be indicative of an hd problem rather
than a cdrw problem.
Have not closely followed this thread but, Ryan, have you posted
'hdparm -i or I' for your hds also are they running at the default
16-bit IO mode or have you reset them to 32-bit ?

    Charles

--
All of the animals except man know that the principal business of life
is to enjoy it.