On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 20:32, Greg Meyer wrote:

> On Wednesday 12 February 2003 04:17 pm, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> > Behind the scenes the "engine(s)" may be new and improved,
>
> That is why it was changed
>
> > but the interface just isn't getting it.
>
> That is your opinion, not a fact.

Glad to see that you are finally catching on to the entire purpose of
this thread.  Congratulations on finally catching up with the rest of
us.

> > I don't understand *why* it was changed,
>
> Yes you do, you stated it very plainly above when you said 'Behind the scenes
> the "engine(s)" may be new and improved'

The backend and the frontend do not have to be the same thing.  That is
the point.  As I've stated before, there is always opportunity for
compromise; and it's sorely needed with 9.0/9.1 in relation to the
rpmdrake 4.1 UI.

> > and I have not talked to anybody that does.
>
> Yes you have, unless I don't count.
>
> > It seems to me that this should have been a discussion/vote
> > within Mandrakeclub prior to the time that the change was made.
>
> Voting did not exist within the Club at that time.
>
> You really need to get in contact with the UI team for the draktools if you
> feel this strongly about it.  They are simply not going to replace the new
> rpmdrake with the old rpmdrake, and they won't add it in as an option since
> real estate on the iso's is so precious (especially since the Club is also
> voting strongly for 650MB iso's).  The best you can hope for is to get it
> into contribs or get them to change the UI.  The best way for you to get it
> into contrib is to package it yourself and submit it.  The best way for you
> to get the UI changed is to get in touch with the UI team and work with them
> by providing a solution instead of just saying it sucks.  No one is going to
> be all over the change because a couple of people are ranting about it on the
> newbie list, or because 50 people voted for it on the Club.

Once again, you continue to forcefully minimize the importance of
people's opinions at the risk of your own credibility.  You can continue
to do so if you want, but I take the position that this posture of yours
is related to a subconscious desire to be wrong.  Throughout this thread
you have continued to make the voters and dissenters sound
insignificant, and to make it sound like there was just absolutely no
way to go except for the path that was taken.  Further, you intimate
that the entirety of my activity in this issue involves rant or
complaints; which is ironic since I compose this from within a cooker
distro in a room with four other cooker candidate machines.

>From a broader point of view, I have defended the Mandrake distribution
from the beginning in every way I have found personally possible to
maintain, as far back as 6.1.  I have put money forth when we did'nt
have it, put time and effort into helping people locally and abroad when
I didn't have it truly available, kept my mouth shut about certain
things involving Mandrake corporate that did'nt suit me personally
because of fear that it would damage them publically, pushed this distro
to customers of mine, and taken hits graciously when the Mandrake distro
did not suit some of the people I had recommended it to.  For your
information this is the first beef I've ever had with Mandrake, the
first thing I've ever had a complaint about, and for me it is a dead
serious thing.  I fully plan on being active in rpmdrake's evolution
from here on out.  But in the present time, if I want to make my views
known on this issue, I'm going to take the time to do so.

LX

--
Kernel  2.4.21pre4-1mdk       Mandrake Cooker 9.1