On Wednesday February 12 2003 01:09 pm, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> Whew.  I tell you what guys....I love 9.1 in general and so far
> things have been working OK.  But this new rpmdrake UI is the worst
> idea I've seen in a long long time.  I wish I had one or two
> gallons of holy water, some wooden stakes and some nightvision
> goggles so I could put this undead monster to it's final rest.
>
> Rpmdrake in LM82 was very eloquent and I got addicted to it in
> record time; all functions right there at your fingertips,
> including update/install/removal/source configuration.  I got used
> to using it almost on a daily basis.  Contrast this with 9.1, where
> you have rpmdrake butchered into four seperate chunks, each one of
> which does not allow access to any of the other pieces.  To get
> things done you have to go back to one of the other icons, which
> brings up a seperate incarnation of rpmdrake doing the separate
> thing.  In LM91 beta 3, to duplicate the functionality of one LM82
> Rpmdrake UI instance, you must activate all four icon instances of
> rpmdrake listed in MCC.  Then you end up with four seperate
> windows, each one of which looks identical to the other one except
> for the title bars.  It's absurd.
>
> Now try running the "new and improved" rpmdrake from an Eterm.  It
> puts you into "software packages installation" mode.  Can you
> affect what mode you want it to go into?  Not according to rpmdrake
> --help.  There is not a method listed to do so.  Translation:
> "Mandrake Update" mode: unavailable.  "Remove software" mode:
> unavailable.  "Software Sources Manager" mode: unavailable.
> Previously all these functions were easily accessible from within
> the LM8X rpmdrake UI.  NOW you have to activate a seperate icon for
> each one. El dumb-o.
>
> The positive side to all this is that in the Mandrakeclub RPM
> voting page, you can let it be known if you do not like LM9X
> Rpmdrake by casting your vote for Ctardif's entry, listed as
> "rpmdrake 1.4 (9.1/i586)".  This would bring back the old rpmdrake.
>  FYI...the version of rpmdrake that LM91 Beta 3 has off of the CD's
> is rpmdrake-2.1-4mdk. The version of rpmdrake that was shipped with
> LM82 was
> rpmdrake-1.4-18mdk.
>
> Now where did I put those NV gogs....
>
> LX

   Now Lyvim, I believe you read the cooker list and should know this
was all hammered out, fuss'd about, reasons given, and concessions
made months ago on the cooker list.  If I'm terribly wrong, then
search the cooker archives back in Oct., Nov., Dec....

   Tho many were vocal (as you are) about the changes, the logic and
reasons for it as given by the Mdk. developers were compelling if not
convincing, and much progress has been made with the new versions
since.

   But what do I know, it's much easier and quicker to manage packages
on the CL anyhow ;~ppp

   BTW, in the recent discussions of updating 9.1b3 from mirrors, I
failed to mention there's a new tool 'urpmi.setup' available. A
little GUI tool for the CL challenged to use urpmi. 'Course I haven't
used it ;)    urpmi.setup-0.4.2-1mdk