Now don't get me wrong I love linux and  have been with Mandrake since v6.0
though I must say in my opinion v9.0 is not one of it's best, perhaps,
sorry, definately a bit hasty with this release!

Anyway the point is I've just upgraded my windows98 to XP and I must admit
in all fairness for the desktop, "I know nothing of computers," average
user,  XP is better.

Now before I get flamed let me explain. I run a small 500mhz Athlon with
64mg memory but for speed and effeiciency XP is by far the fastest.
My Md9 is a minimal installation (although having most of the HD) but still
pales in comparison to XP even when a large number of apps are working.
With XP I boot and hey-presto I'm logging in with Md9 I can make a brew etc
etc. (well not literally but you get the point)

I beleive that as far as the end user is concerned speed is the most
important factor.  Not how much software is free or that linux is more
stable and reliable.  The average user wants speed.  You click on an icon
and up pops the application IMMEDIATELY!!!  With XP even my little 500
acheives this performance but alas (and I mean that with a heavy heart) Md9
is a slow monolith beleiving that placing god knows how many apps into their
installation cd's will convert new customers.

Just my thought

Andrew