On Saturday 15 February 2003 02:05 pm, Andrew Scotchmer wrote:
> Now don't get me wrong I love linux and  have been with Mandrake since v6.0
> though I must say in my opinion v9.0 is not one of it's best, perhaps,
> sorry, definately a bit hasty with this release!
>
> Anyway the point is I've just upgraded my windows98 to XP and I must admit
> in all fairness for the desktop, "I know nothing of computers," average
> user,  XP is better.
>
> Now before I get flamed let me explain. I run a small 500mhz Athlon with
> 64mg memory but for speed and effeiciency XP is by far the fastest.
> My Md9 is a minimal installation (although having most of the HD) but still
> pales in comparison to XP even when a large number of apps are working.
> With XP I boot and hey-presto I'm logging in with Md9 I can make a brew etc
> etc. (well not literally but you get the point)
>
> I beleive that as far as the end user is concerned speed is the most
> important factor.  Not how much software is free or that linux is more
> stable and reliable.  The average user wants speed.  You click on an icon
> and up pops the application IMMEDIATELY!!!  With XP even my little 500
> acheives this performance but alas (and I mean that with a heavy heart) Md9
> is a slow monolith beleiving that placing god knows how many apps into
> their installation cd's will convert new customers.
>

> Just my thought
>
> Andrew
OK, now install Office 2000 or Office XP whatever. Is it still really fast on
boot up? Curious to know cause my wifes comp with 98 and office 98 on it and
256mb ram and a 900 Duron is slow as mollasses on boot up. It looks like it
is the other stuff that causes the delay not the basic OS. Not a flame just
pointing out that no matter what you can not compare apples and oranges. I
was a newbie and computer illiterate once too, and just got tired of the MS
crap. You will be too if you decide to put a faster burner and a faster cpu
and then add a few MB of ram to your computer, and then reboot and see if XP
wants to play.  Bet it won't and I bet you have to call the MS hotline and
get special permission from your Mommy Mrs Gates to reboot the XP. Yeah that
s a real great system.  Sorry, there is no comparison.
--
Dennis M. linux user #180842