Andrew Scotchmer wrote:
Now don't get me wrong I love linux and  have been with Mandrake since v6.0
though I must say in my opinion v9.0 is not one of it's best, perhaps,
sorry, definately a bit hasty with this release!

Agreed, I actually liked 8.2 better.

Anyway the point is I've just upgraded my windows98 to XP and I must admit
in all fairness for the desktop, "I know nothing of computers," average
user,  XP is better.

I run both and Win2k as well. Win2K is the best Windows, IMHO.

Now before I get flamed let me explain. I run a small 500mhz Athlon with
64mg memory but for speed and effeiciency XP is by far the fastest.
My Md9 is a minimal installation (although having most of the HD) but still
pales in comparison to XP even when a large number of apps are working.
With XP I boot and hey-presto I'm logging in with Md9 I can make a brew etc
etc. (well not literally but you get the point)

WinXP boots up fast, but it is not ready. Things are still happening in the background. When MDK 9 boots, it is fully operational and ready to go.

I have run WinXP on anything from a 266 to a P4, it is always dog slow with 64<B of ram. Give it 256mb and it screams! Tho, Win2K screams and does break as much as WinXP.

I beleive that as far as the end user is concerned speed is the most
important factor.  Not how much software is free or that linux is more
stable and reliable.  The average user wants speed.  You click on an icon
and up pops the application IMMEDIATELY!!!  With XP even my little 500
acheives this performance but alas (and I mean that with a heavy heart) Md9
is a slow monolith beleiving that placing god knows how many apps into their
installation cd's will convert new customers.

I don't believe the average user wants speed, otherwise they would be flocking to Gentoo or Slack. WinXP is excellent for its target audience. It looks easy and familiar. MS did a great job with the UI. Personally, I hate it, but let the typically PC user that uses a dull PC at work boot to a colorful screen with big bright menus, and they lose their fear of a PC.

MD9 can be a speed demon if you pick the right apps and the right Window Manager. Plus, you don't have to worry about Uncle Bob spying on you and filling your hard drive with viruses. You can make your MD 9 installation take up a lot of space on your drive or very little.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not flaming you. I firmly believe in different strokes for different folks. You pick whatever suits your taste buds the best.

For me it's Linux. I still have a box with Win 2K for my job, but everything else, Linux rules in my house.

-- Jose [EMAIL PROTECTED] Registered Mandrake, Redhat and SuSE user Don't make me come down there -God